Ladies! Gentlemen! Tarpers! Hoopers! Spinners! Wooks of all ages! It’s lastly right here: we’re within the superb throes of the 2017 summer time tour, and the extremely-anticipated Baker’s Dozen is almost upon us. The announcement in January feels prefer it was years in the past, doesn’t it? But the longer term is NOW, and it’s time to start out making your final minute plans for this historic run! Part of success is taking care of your personal self, and that’s what this publish is all about.
Phish100 contributor PhishPhitness–a brand new, lighthearted health and wellness Twitter account–created an inventory of 13 Phish-inspired tips to place collectively a information to assist us all survive this unprecedented stretch of exhibits! Don’t do your physique a disservice–Read the Post!
Phish Fitness Health and Wellness Tips for the Baker’s Dozen
1. I Love Meatballs So You Better Get Ready: Nutrition contributes to 80% of fitness. Eat lean MEATSTICK proteins like fish, hen, and turkey for your pre-present meal. You will really feel full, and people proteins will work exhausting for you as you shake your tush everywhere in the Garden.
2. Maggie’s Revenge: With so many followers attending so many exhibits in our tight-knit group, you’re more likely to see somebody who made you are feeling unworthy or tied down sooner or later in your life. That individual is your WILSON. But don’t ever deliver drama into the present with you. You’re stronger than that. Use that sighting as motivation to get healthy. They don’t name it a “revenge body” for nothing.
three. Stretching Out into the Sea: You’ll flail your arms higher with a heat core. Stretch your indirect muscular tissues with a aspect bend earlier than and after the present (I even stretch throughout set break). To do a proper aspect stretch, face ahead and press palms collectively. Reach up as excessive as you’ll be able to, HALFWAY TO THE MOON. Tip your torso left. Point your hips to the appropriate till you are feeling a full stretch alongside the fitting aspect physique with out crunching the left aspect. Breathe deeply. Hold for 20 seconds. I wish to repeat on all sides 2-three occasions.
four. Find Some Fried Eggs and Country Ham: Don’t keep holed up within the foggy CAVERN of a windowless NYC lodge room. Brunch is a good way to fancify day-consuming. Going to brunch will help you get shifting and supply important vitamins for one other lengthy day. Eat full meals day by day, particularly when you’re partying all night time.
5. Gimme Little Drink: Sometimes the feeling of starvation comes from dehydration. Ensure you’re consuming plenty of water earlier than you begin snacking. A glass of H2O ought to do the trick, and it’s calorie-free! PRO-TIP: convey Dasani bottle caps into MSG so that you don’t spill your water! You won’t take pleasure in consuming WATER IN THE SKY.
6. Before You Slip Into the Night: We’ve all been there: you’re dancing and grooving, and you’ve got a snack assault. If it’s not a mealtime, attempt to not exceed 150 energy with snacks. SPREAD IT ‘ROUND when you’re ravenous. Post-show snacking is probably going, however don’t flip it right into a 4th meal. Your intestine will thanks within the morning. So will the individuals sharing a lodge room with you.
7. Eat My Cashew: A great way to keep away from packing on additional energy with publish-present late-night time pizza and salty snacks is to make your personal path combine prematurely. People will make some jokes (it’s tremendous crunchy to convey your personal path combine to a live performance), however they may all come clamoring for your yummy almond, dried cranberry, sunflower seed combine by setbreak. Homemade path combine not your factor? Perhaps you skip that step and honor STEALING TIME FROM A FAULTY PLAN with a Clif Bar and a few chilly inexperienced tea (get the type with out added sugar).
eight. Atrophied Throughout: You’ve met your SHOW OF LIFE soulmate whereas ready for your good friend to get by way of the set break rest room line. You need to hook up, however you’re so drained from dancing! Here are a couple of fast methods to get up the physique so you will get it on correctly.
• Cardio—even a 15-minute stroll—will get your blood pumping and strikes oxygen by means of the physique. Walk a lap by means of the MSG concourse.
• “Morning” Bend—Stand with ft shoulder-width, knees barely bent, palms behind head. With your again flat, bend ahead till your again is parallel to the bottom, preserving weight in your heels and hips. Return to standing.
• Wall Angel—Stand towards a wall with backbone touching it from shoulders to hips, then increase your arms parallel to the ground. Keeping arms and again towards the wall, rotate arms upward so far as you’ll be able to, then right down to beginning place.
9. You Can Heal the Symptoms: Well they are saying TIME LOVES A HERO. Use Sunday to create healthy munchies for the week. Rice cake balls, kale chips, Sriracha chickpeas…the choices are infinite. You will probably be worn out from the Friday and Saturday exhibits, so your physique will want nutritious treats as gasoline. You’ll be the hero this time.
10. I’m Just Standing Still: Don’t lock your knees once you stand for lengthy durations at a present. It permits blood to pool in your legs. Not a superb GRIND for your coronary heart and mind. You might cross out or worse. Instead, maintain a slight bend in your knees. It will really feel bizarre to face like this at first, however nobody will discover, and it’s what your physique wants.
11. Walk Away: You’re having fun with your fifth or sixth night time of Baker’s Dozen in a crowded lodge room with a bunch of dudes, a few of whom are masking the truth that they haven’t showered in days (a faint whiff of sage or patchouli is a lifeless giveaway). Get out and go for a stroll. New York is likely one of the most walkable of all CITIES. It’s a great way to slot in some cardio. It’s a great way to heat up the physique. It’s additionally an excellent place to get some considering carried out.
12. Waking Up Dead: Get loads of SLEEP. We’re all responsible of sometimes going to a submit-get together or an aftershow and find yourself enjoying via till dawn. That’s okay; simply don’t do it two days in a row. In reality, in the event you’re making an attempt to be healthy sufficient to do all 13 exhibits, you might want to get loads of SLEEP. That’s when the physique recovers. You’re doing your self a disservice in the event you don’t relaxation.
13. If You’re Moving On You’ve Got to Leave it Behind: It doesn’t matter a lot how fabulous you are feeling in the event you ain’t received swagger. Everyone has their very own distinctive CAMEL WALK, so strut your stuff.
Honorable point out Twitter tip from @phishphit follower, @ErieGreenDeep: A whole lot of again ache is psychosomatic. Some bliss Phish may chill that out.
The creator of Phish Phitness is neither a coach nor a nutritionist, however she did seek the advice of each whereas making this record.
-Sam Boone & Brian Weinstein[cover photo: screen shot from 8/15/15]
If you’re heading to New York for Phish’s 13-night Baker’s Dozen run at Madison Square Garden, don’t miss all of the unimaginable late night time exhibits happening within the City in the course of the run! Check out Our Official Guide To Baker’s Dozen Late-Nights for all the data.
Live For Live Music Phish Baker’s Dozen Run Late-Night Shows
July 21 – The Werks @ American Beauty (tix)
July 21 – The Motet @ BB King Blues Club (tix)
July 20, 21, & 22 – Twiddle @ Irving Plaza (tix) *
July 22 – The Werks @ American Beauty (tix)
July 22 – Circles Around The Sun @ Gramercy Theatre (SOLD OUT)
July 23 – Circles Around The Sun (early brunch present) @ Brooklyn Bowl (tix) #
July 25 – Turkuaz at Irving Plaza (tix) *
July 28 – Dopapod @ Gramercy Theater (tix) *
July 28 – James Brown Dance Party – 2 Shows @ Highline Ballroom (early tix/late tix) *
July 29 – Dopapod @ Gramercy (tix) *
July 29 – Perpetual Groove @ BB King Blues Club (tix)
Aug 2 – Matisyahu @ The Cutting Room (tix) *
Aug three – Greensky Bluegrass w/ Marco Benevento @ Ford Amphitheatre At Coney Island Boardwalk (tix) **
Aug four – “Kraz & Taz” – Eric Krasno Band w/ Brandon “Taz” Niederauer Band @ The Cutting Room (tix)
Aug 5 – Spafford @ BB King Blues Club (tix)
* (L4LM & CEG Presents)
**(L4LM & Live Nation Presents)
# (L4LM & Brooklyn Bowl Presents)